Friday, January 10, 2014

Yoga and Tabata

Now that I feel all stretched out and relaxed, it is going to be hard to get the rest of my housework done. Class today was amazing. It was a substitute instructor.  She had a different style than the normal one, but she was great.  I love that such simple movements can release all of the tension built up from lifting and running all week.

My favorite part is the nap at the end.  It is crazy relaxing, hard to get up and put my shoes on, makes me want to go to sleep for real.  I try to relax on my own, but this technique turns me into putty.

 
This is my post yoga nap hair.  So relaxed. 
 
Last night for dinner, we had steak, sausage links, eggs, and toast.  I could not sleep because I was so hot.  Protein overkill.  I tried to drink a lot of water to settle my metabolism, but it didn't work. No more super mega protein dinners for me. Have you ever noticed that you run hot if you eat lots of protein and low carbs?
 
 
 
I was planning on trying the class before yoga, but I wanted to lift too.  I ended up lifting upper body--chest and arms. But I saw that the class tomorrow morning is Tabata. So I made a date with one of my neighbors to meet at the gym tomorrow for class. 
 
What is Tabata Training? (source)
 
"With Tabata training you exercise for 20 seconds then rest for 10 seconds, and repeat 8 times. This with a short preparation time before starting is a Tabata. It's that simple.
 
 You can do Tabata training with weights or simple body weight exercises. First choose what type of exercise you will do. Start with a short preparation to get ready and alternate between work and rest periods for eight cycles. During the work period exercise continuously and as rigorously as you can for the entire 20 second period. During the rest period, stop exercise, catch your breath, and get ready for the next work period. Repeat this for eight cycles.
 
Tips:
  • Do Tabata Training in the morning to raise your metabolism, and burn more fat throughout the day.
  • Alternate exercises if you wish to give your work out a variety. For example, maybe you do squats on work period 1, and then on work period 2 you do jumping jacks, and you alternate between the two.
  • Find a good Tabata timer, we recommend Tabata Pro for the iPhone and iPod touch, or our free online tabata timer at tabatatimer.com
  • Start off light. Treat your first few Tabata workouts as practice. Ease in to the routine."

This site offers a free Tabata timer.  I am sure you can get other free ones for your phone too.

We'll see how it goes tomorrow.  I am thinking it will be like the Insanity DVDs.




Have you tried any classes lately?  What is your favorite?
Any plans for the weekend?

-- Go Seahawks!
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...