Friday, October 31, 2014

Trying To Be Tough

I knew I wasn't feeling well and that I was exhausted.  I knew I was frustrated and having a hard time getting anything done.  I knew I was not eating well.  I thought I could just rest and get better, but nothing was getting better.

I went to the Chiropractor and PT for my hip and leg.
I had intense pain in my back and shoulders.  It would wake me up at night and I wouldn't be able to go to sleep.

I thought that I was just having pinched nerves and kept trying to rest and relax.

Then one night, I was in so much pain, I considered going to the ER.
I had sharp pain in my back and side and stomach.  It was on the right side and up under my rib.
It happened after eating a greasy hamburger and some mini donuts.
Of course, I Googled all of my symptoms. What came to my mind was gallbladder.

I tried to see my Dr., but she was out sick.  They told me to go to the urgent care and they told me to go to the ER.  The ER said to go back to my clinic and  see whomever was covering patients.
They did blood work, urine test, and ordered an ultrasound--3 days later.

In the meantime, I was still taking ibuprofen, trying to help my pain.
I felt like my nerves were frayed for about a month.  I was crazy tired.  And I was just so upset and disappointed with myself.

Sometimes when I am in pain, I try to be tough.  This time I waited a little too long.
I have an ulcer.

I started having pains in August and then they went away.  I think when I reinjured my leg, I took a hit.  The orthopedist told me to take a steady dose of ibuprofen and so I did.  NSAIDs are not supposed to be taken for long periods of time.  I took them 2-3x a day for 3 weeks.  Before that, I would take them 1 or 2 times a week if I had unusual pain.

Anyway, I am on the mend.  And I have some hope that my body will recover in a few weeks.
I had extra blood work done to check different nutrient levels.  They all came out in the healthy range.  But I am pretty sure I am experiencing adrenal fatigue as well.

I am even more convinced of the importance of sleep and good nutrition in general.  But when you add strenuous exercise on top of daily tasks, you need to make sure you are on top of it. I often thought that I wasn't eating enough for the amount of exercise I do, but I was maintain or gaining a few lbs. and figured that I was okay. But the last 2 months, with my arm pain, it was hard to feel like cooking and to actually chop and prep stuff hurt.  I tried to eat fresh stuff, but the majority of my food was probably some kind of packaged food.

I would not wish this pain on anyone.  So, please look at your diet and sleep patterns and get them in check. Make sure you are eating enough healthy fats and a variety of fruits and vegetables as well as protein and good starches.  Eat breakfast--not cereal or a muffin alone.  You need protein and fat.  Good fats help your body produce hormones that keep everything functioning. Take a multivitamin if you don't feel like you are eating your nutrients--and then work on adding whole foods.

I am not a Dr.  Just keep track of what you eat for a few days and see if you are getting at least 3 veggies a day.  That is  a good place to start.  And fat is not your enemy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...