Monday, February 24, 2014

Be Careful Whose Advice You Follow

Sometimes when I see people working out at the gym, I want to give them advice.  I don't do it unless they ask, but sometimes I really have to hold myself back.  I often wonder what people's goals are and what their history might be.

Today, I did some squats and lunges.  I was getting ready to do some thrusters and this weightlifter suggested that I do deadlifts instead.  He is a "Strongest Man" lifter and he does a lot of super heavy weight, but he doesn't do any cardio.  I don't do a lot of barbell lifting and I rarely deadlift. 

He put weight on the bar and said, "Do it.  You have massive quads.  You can pull that weight."  With 45 lb. plates on each side, the total weight was 135 lbs.  It felt heavy, but I ended up doing 2 sets of 12.  I could tell my trainer was watching me and swearing under her breath.  She was with a client, but I knew she wanted to say something to me.

After I was done, I looked for Melissa, so I could get her take.  She was with a different client, so I waited.  When she finished, she said, "Don't leave until I talk to you." I trust her and I know she has experience and knowledge that the other guy doesn't.  Anyway, she just said to not listen to everything he says.  And that I should go lighter.  My goal isn't to bulk up or be a bodybuilder.  I just want to run and be strong. I do need to work on my backside, but she gave me some different moves to try.  I know she is looking out for me.

I asked for an opinion and he gave me one.  Just because it works for him, doesn't mean the same thing will work for me.  If people give you advice or share workouts and they don't work for you or you don't like them, don't feel bad, just find something you like.  Try new things.  But don't get stuck if you don't like what is popular or what you read on blogs.

Right before I left, Melissa told me, "Just so you know, I think you are pretty awesome." She is a friend as well as a trainer.  Find someone like her.  It's always good to have a friend in your corner to help motivate and teach you.


Workout:
10 minutes--AMT--warm-up
45 minutes--lifting
  • Smith machine--squats, alt. lunges, plié squats, calf raises.
  • Deadlifts
  • Calf raises--machine
  • Walking lunges with rear leg lift
35 minutes--AMT--16/18 Intervals
10 minutes--core


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...