Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Running Tips

These are from 101 Tips for Runners. I just picked a few that I really like.

 
Be a minuteman "The biggest mistake that new runners make is that they tend to think in mile increments-1 mile, 2 miles, 3 miles. Beginning runners need to think in minutes, not miles." -Budd Coates, four-time U.S. Olympic Marathon Trials qualifier/coach
 
 
Relax to the max "When running, let your jaw hang loose, don't bunch up your shoulders close to your ears, and occasionally shake out your hands and arms to stay relaxed." -Dave Martin, Ph.D., exercise physiologist
 
 
Come ready to play "Fitness has to be fun. If it isn't, there will be no fitness. Play is the process. Fitness is merely the product." -Dr. George Sheehan
 
 
Make time for a quickie "If 15 minutes is all the time I have, I still run. Fifteen minutes of running is better than not running at all." -Dr. Duncan Macdonald, former U.S. record holder at 5000 (set when he was in medical school)
 
 
Go for the goal "I believe in using races as motivators. It's hard to keep on an exercise program if you don't have a significant goal in sight." -Bob Greene, personal trainer of Oprah Winfrey
 
 
Go steady "Day to day consistency is more important than big mileage. Then you're never shot the next day." -John Campbell, former masters running star from New Zealand
 
 
Have fun on your easy runs "I make sure I have some really enjoyable training runs, remembering to 'smell the roses' along the way. That way I don't become caught up in the training-is-everything syndrome." -Sue Stricklin, top masters runner from the 1970s
 
 
Don't always watch the watch "I don't wear a watch during my long runs. That way I'm not tempted to compare my time from week to week." -Lynn Jennings, three-time World Cross-Country champion
 
 
Get over it "If you have a bad workout or run a bad race, allow yourself exactly 1 hour to stew about it-then move on." -Steve Scott, coach and U.S. record holder in the mile
 
 
Be vigilant "During the hard training phase, never be afraid to take a day off. If your legs are feeling unduly stiff and sore, rest. If you're at all sluggish, rest. Whenever you're in doubt, rest." -Bruce Fordyce, nine-time Comrades Marathon champion from South Africa
 
 
But do what you must do "If one can stick to training throughout many long years, then willpower is no longer a problem. It's raining? That doesn't matter. I'm tired? That's beside the point. It's simply that I have to." -Emil Zatopek 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...