Wednesday, October 9, 2013

10 Reasons to Join a Gym

Sometimes I wonder what it would be like to run outside more than just on the weekends.  But I am grateful that there is a gym a few minutes away from me with great childcare.  Gyms can sometimes be intimidating.  My gym is a smaller, local gym. I have been going there long enough that it feels like a little exercise family.

Here are 10 Reasons to Join a Gym:

  1. Variety.There are a  variety of cardio machines, free weights, and weight machines. A person can always vary their workout. Some days I want to lift and not do cardio for a long time.  At home, I only have 10 lb. dumbbells. I appreciate the weights at the gym. I would rather have them store the weights than have them takeover my house.
  2. Weather. Never worry about weather conditions.  When it is hot or cold, I do not like being outside.  It limits the length and intensity of my workouts.
  3. Trainers. Advice from trainers. You don't have to sign up for training to get help from a trainer.  They will give you exercise recommendations and demonstrations if you ask.  I even text the trainer sometimes with nutrition as well as exercise questions.
  4. Childcare.  I would probably only get in 20 minutes at home with my children running around my feet.  They love going to the "gym school." It makes me feel good that they get a play date or craft time and I get a workout. Win, win.
  5. Friends. I have ladies from church that I get to see several times a week. I have made new friends and have gotten to know some of the regulars. They ask how I am doing and I learn about their families and jobs. They also keep tabs on when I am there or not. One guy always tells me to run faster if I am going slower.
  6. Time. With a gym, I can workout day or night. I tend to follow a schedule, but it does give me more options.  If I ran outside, I would have to get up at 5am or go after dinner. I do not like going running on a full stomach.  The gym allows me to choose when I want to go, depending on how my day is going. How my kids are feeling.  What other appointments I have on my calendar. Or whether or not my kids have slept the previous night.
  7. Inspiration. Seeing other people sweating and working hard, inspires me to push and improve.  I love watching people run hard and sweat and smile. It is awesome. I especially appreciate the 70+ crowd. They are amazing.
  8. Weight loss, shape change. Come on, this is a major reason for working out. I work out to maintain weight, gain muscle, and get faster. You can do this at home, but there is something about being able to see yourself in a big mirror that makes it all easier to recognize and appreciate.
  9. Mental clarity. All this means to me is that I can clear my head and be a nicer wife and mother. I know when I don't workout I feel worse, slower, sad, upset. Going to the gym makes me happy.
  10. Entertainment/People watching. There are a lot of characters at the gym--grunters, yellers, speed demons, flexers, posers, etc. One time there was even a ninja with a body blade. I know some people don't like gyms because they don't want to be watched. I don't really watch people (creepy), I notice what people do. I notice cute shoes, cute hair, who is working it, things I can improve.  Not judging, only appreciating other's goodness.
I do understand that gyms are not for everyone. I would say try it.  You might like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...