Thursday, October 17, 2013

Goals and Personal Improvement

The first time I visited with a trainer, they had me do a fitness assessment. I don't remember everything we did, but I do remember doing mountain climbers, sit ups, push-ups, and running a mile.  It was all really difficult. My baby at the time was 4 months old and I hadn't done anything during my pregnancy but videos at home--Slim in 6 and Turbo Jam.  I was not in good shape.

She was really nice about it all.

--Do as many push-ups as you can in a minute--FAIL! That is what she wrote on my chart.

--My walk/ run mile was 11:11. I was pretty proud of myself. In high school, I remember thinking under 12 minutes was a decent time. That may have been the passing time for PE.

After 2 yrs of running, I got my time down to 8:20 for my fast mile. Six months later, I could run a 7:45 mile. This year, my fastest mile was 6:39 on the treadmill. I have been running consistently, at least 3 miles 3x per week, for about 5 years. I started slowly, added distance and speed slowly. It is easy to see personal improvement and that keeps me motivated.

Just start with something. Walk for 10 minutes a day and add more time after a week. Run a mile and try to beat your time in a few weeks. Little steps can lead to big changes.

Goals:
1 mile @ 6:30
5 K sub 24:00


What are your fitness goals for the year?

1 comment:

  1. Yay! I'm so glad you're doing this blog, it's good inspiration for me to get back into shape post-baby. Seriously, hurry up, baby, I've got some working out to do! I saw how you did in the half-marathon, and seriously, you rocked it! You're amazing, keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...