Saturday, March 8, 2014

Exercising With Allergies

It's tough to take a day off when you are in a habit of exercising regularly.  Here is one way to gauge whether or not you should run/exercise.

"David Nieman, Ph.D., who heads the Human Performance Laboratory at Appalachian State University, and has run 58 marathons and ultras, uses the "neck rule." Symptoms below the neck (chest cold, bronchial infection, body ache) require time off, while symptoms above the neck (runny nose, stuffiness, sneezing) don't pose a risk to runners continuing workouts." Runner'sWorld.


Marquee for OTC Nasal Spray
via
This is the time of year that allergies start acting up, sometimes it feels like a combination of sore throat and stuffy nose and other times I have itchy, watery eyes.  It is pretty awesome when you are lifting and all of the sudden a stream of water comes out your nose with no warning.  I guess that's what shirts are for. I didn't know I had allergies until last year.  The thing that works best for me is a combination of Claritin and a nasal spray (Flonase or whichever one you prefer). *You can get Nasacort over-the-counter now, which is like Flonase.  Of course, ask your doctor or pharmacist. I used to have to just put up with it for weeks and weeks, thinking it was a neverending cold.

I stock up on Halls Breezers to keep my throat moist while I workout.  The allergy medicine dries me out.  And I try to drink lots of water, but when I am congested I don't feel thirsty. I am glad that it is only allergies and above the neck.  But I do try to take it a little easy for a few days when I am feeling this way.

Workout:
3 minute--rowing warm-up
Lifting
  • Cleans 10-10-10 w/ barbell (45)
  • Front Squat 10-10
  • Thrusters 10-10
8 minutes--stairclimber

12 Intervals Rowing
--200m/ 30 sec. rest (45-53 sec)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...