Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Trainer Talk

I am lucky to have a friend at the gym who is a trainer. I can ask her all of my questions and she will give me a real answer. It has been hard to eat and I have not been feeling well lately.  When I don't eat enough, I gain weight and retain water.

 I told Melissa (website) that I had been gaining weight that I didn't want and I wondered what she would recommend. Her first question was, "How's your food?"  When I told her, she explained that I needed to drink lots of water and eat at least 4 times a day, 5 if I could.  The plan is to cut dairy and bread and up protein and veggies/fruits.  She said to save breads for the weekend.  Do a no bread/cracker/treats menu during the week and allow for a treat or bread on the weekend. I think a lot of us know that food is key, but I sometimes give myself more leeway with food because I workout.

I struggle with balance and not being food crazy or workout crazy.  We all have to eat. I like healthy foods, but I also like treats.  I tell my sister's kids to call me "Aunt Candy."  I need to get to the store and stock my shelves so I have things that I like and enough of a variety so I don't get bored.

Melissa told me she has been eating the same thing for the last 3 years.  Chicken, fish, broccoli, brown rice, sweet potatoes, asparagus, and protein powders/bars.  In the off season, she has treats and bread and sushi.  My goal is not to be a bodybuilder, but I know I need to fuel my body better.  I want to be able to go and do whatever activity comes my way with confidence.

As far as exercise goes, she told me to lift heavier and keep my heart rate below 80% when I do cardio.  She said I could do sprints, but to only spike for a short time.  When I run, my heart rate is usually around 150/160 bpm.  When I sprint Tabatas, it recovers quickly.

My kitchen is still torn up and it has made cooking and cleaning not fun.  In fact I feel a little trapped.  It is an excuse that I can work around.  I just need to make the decision to do it.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...