Saturday, March 22, 2014

Pam-a-thon

Pam was a lady from my hometown who died from cancer a few years ago.  One of the things on her bucket list was to run a half marathon.  After she passed away, her kids organized a fun run around her birthday as a memorial. They also collect items for the cancer patients.  It is a fun event that ends with birthday cake. I think it is a sweet way for the kids to honor their mother.

I dropped my kids at my mom and dad's house and then proceeded to stretch and attempt to warm-up.  Immediately, my calf cramped up.  I tried to stretch some more and had my mom deep tissue massage it, but it stayed tight.  It was time to go and I still didn't feel confident that I could even run.  I just thought I would go get my shirt and cheer people on.
 
I wasn't sure I was going to run until they said it was time to line up.  I started off slow and felt okay, no real pain, but my calf felt like a baseball.  It was so tight. I had taken 800 mg of ibuprofen, so that must have helped.
I didn't have my music or any time gauge.  So I strictly went by how I felt.  I started to pass a few people and was happy that I chose to run.
This is the town landmark we passed at just about the 2 mile mark.  I told my kids that it was full of chocolate milk.  Then I told them the truth.
 
They had a water station at the last turn.  I stopped and drank the whole cup. Told the aid people thank you and went again.  None of the roads are blocked off for this race, so you are at the mercy of the traffic and the traffic light.  With about 1/3 of a mile left, I hit a red light.  I probably only had to stop for 30 seconds.  Not bad, but my 2 stops probably added a minute to my time.
 


My finish time was 26:03. There are no bibs and so the timing was probably longer than real run time, but I thought it was good for not planning to run at all.  My other limiting factor was getting only 4 hours of sleep. I finished 2nd overall and was the 1st girl for the 5K. That will probably be the only time in my life that I actually win a race.

 
When the race was over we played in the park, watched Frozen with Grandma (her 1st time), and helped with the yard.
 
This is my last Veg Out entry.  Hooray for Subway when you're tired, but want something good to eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...