Thursday, January 16, 2014

Do What Works For You

Since classes have been added to the gym, I have felt pressure to try all the classes.  And it isn't like any one is really pushing me, but they ask if I have tried this or that and how the workout was.  I think classes are fun, but as far as being a tough workout, it hasn't felt like I have made any gains from attending the classes.  Probably the most useful class has been yoga. Tabata was a good workout too, but I won't be getting up at 5:00 to attend.

I don't usually feel peer pressure or a desire to follow trends or competition with other people.  In the case of these classes, I have felt like I should like them because everyone else likes them.  But a lot of people don't lift on their own and a lot of people walk or do the elliptical and don't get super sweaty.  For those people, the classes are a challenge and I love seeing people improve their fitness. I need to challenge myself to feel like I am using my time well.

Before Christmas I had a good schedule and I felt like I was really improving my strength and my speed.  So I am going to go back to what I would normally do and be very selective with the classes I attend.  If I want to race I need to do the work that will help me get there. Do what you like and whatever helps you reach your goals. Go to the gym, workout at home, play outside, ride a bike, Crossfit, aerobics, lifting.  Just do what works for you.

Yesterday, I did the first 2 Crossfit WODs and 35 minutes on the AMT.
  • 5/5 squats with 25 lb. dumbbells
  • lunges with 30 lb. easy bar
  • girl push-ups

Workout:
12 minutes--AMT--Warm-up
45 minutes--lifting--back and shoulders
  • assisted pull-ups
  • back extension
  • chainsaws
  • plank with shoulder tap
  • single arm snatch
  • single arm shoulder press
30 minutes--treadmill--3 miles Fartlek Sprints (8.2-10.5 mph)




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...